Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2016

The Playwright Jaclyn Backhaus at The Wild Project


The Playwright Jaclyn Backhaus at The Wild Project
Men On Boats 
By Jaclyn Backhaus
Clubbed Thumb Summer Works, 2015
directed by Will Davis

Men on Boats : Playwrights Horizons

set by Arnulfo Maldonado
costumes by Ásta Bennie Hostetter
lights by Solomon Weisbard
sound by Jane Shaw
production stage manager Sunny Stapleton
with Jess BarbagalloBecca BlackwellHannah CabellDanielle DavenportDanaya EsperanzaDonnetta Lavinia GraysBirgit HuppuchLayla KhoshnoudiKelly McAndrew, and Kristen Sieh

POWELL. Well. Some of you are here for sport and some of you are here for skill and some of you are here because you get a kick out of killing bears and some of you are here because it got your ass out of the army on a good note and some of you are here because you have nowhere else to go. You know why I’m here? I’m here because my friend, the fucking PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES, needed a better knowledge of the arid lands of this nation. I am here because I was given a job. And in case you didn’t know, it’s hard for gimps to get jobs around these parts, so I am going to do this job to the best of my ability. And it just so happens that I’ve run more rivers than any of you all put together—I did the fuckin Mississippi up and down when I was 17 years old and I’ve done more tributaries than you can name on BOTH of your sorry hands. If you want to go over what we could have done to save the No-Name, then be my guest. But, instead of that, I am going to focus on the marvelous forethought we put into divvying up most of our supplies between each boat. And I’m going to thank God that none of us perished today, and that none of us broke any crucial bones. All of that is a win, in my book. We won’t make it to the end of this expedition if we focus on anything other than wins. So, if you don’t want to go down to the wreckage tomorrow, then I’m sure I can rely on one of your fellow crew members to be a good sport.

You got your fucking cliff, Dunn. Now how about a nice fucking rabbit dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment