Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Playwright Portrait, Jean Reynolds, Excerpt from Dance With Me


The Playwright Jean Reynolds, 2006
pswb@2012



DANCE WITH ME
(Ruth and Grace drink tea)
RUTH
It was on our honeymoon.
(RAY enters during speech)
Raymond and I were at a small hotel on a point overlooking a lake. One night there was a gathering. A crowded room. I was by a window looking out into the night. I saw the room reflected in the window. A woman watched me. I had seen her on other evenings playing cards. I watched her watching me. I was afraid to turn around, afraid to see, afraid of what she would see. She crossed the room and stood behind me. Our eyes met in the glass, caught. She whispered something. Her breath was warm. It was a foreign country.

RAY
What foreign country?
(He waits for an answer)
What foreign country?

RUTH
Raymond.

RAY
What are you up to?

RUTH
Up to?

GRACE/RUTH
Talking.

RAY
Talking. Ah, talking. I envy you. Women know how to talk to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment